Friday, September 13, 2024

Breakthrough?

 I have had hip flexor issues on the left side for 4-5 years during which I did some all day hikes at the Grand Canyon but have had no luck running. I started running again last month (I've had many starts this year) and was doing slow 10 minute jogs until hip pain shut me down 2 minutes into a jog on September 2.  After a week of hiking and gym workouts, I decided to try running again but with slightly different running style. I tried adjusting my foot plant so that I was landing a little farther back on my feet - the dreaded jogger form.  It seems to have worked - maybe due to less impact with my new (old) shuffling style. My feet are barely getting off the ground - I'd probably trip over a twig.  But I'm able to jog longer with less pain during and after. This week I was able to do jogs of 18, 20, and 25 minutes at about 13 minutes per mile. I'm happy with that and will try to continue with 3 jogs a week.  I might even get a little faster (and call it running rather than jogging) if I ever get under ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY POUNDS.

No comments: