Saturday, December 7, 2013

Fun on the track

I went over to West Hills High School this morning and jogged a couple miles around the campus before doing a little track workout.  Most of the time I feel like I'm in my 30's or maybe 40's. The exceptions are when I see a photo of myself, take a good look in the mirror, or apply a stopwatch to what I now call running.  Such was the case this morning when I ran 4 x 200m with lots of rest between.  I haven't run any 200s in three or four decades but I ran LOTS of them when I was younger and I used to know what speed I was running before I even looked at my watch.  When I took off on my first 200 this morning I was running at an effort that would have produced a time in the low 30's back then.  Knowing I was a little "rusty", I supposed I was actually running close to 40 seconds.  The watch said 50 seconds. Huh?!  I ran a faster average pace for a whole marathon a mere 44 years ago!  I walked and jogged a 200 to recover and then tried again. This time I concentrated on trying  to run relaxed but fast.  Fifty seconds again - this can't be right.  On the third one I pushed harder - not all out, but close to it.  49 seconds. Good grief.  Okay, I'm going to run one more.  This time I was nearly sprinting and concentrated on trying not to slow down near the end. This should get me in the low 40's at least.  Nope.  47 seconds - a little faster than my best marathon pace. A victory of sorts, I guess.  Yippee.

1 comment:

terminoil said...

You're clearly doing too much volume. Running fast is a mental game see? What you need to do is IMAGINE you're going to run 40 or 50x200. Then pretend you ran the first 39 or 49 reps with each one getting faster than the previous. By the time you get down to the last REAL rep you should be able to run it in something just under 10 seconds.

Try it, I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised with your results!

Gösta Holmér