Thursday, November 28, 2013

Race Report: Waddle and Trot 5K

This might have been the first time I ran a race on Thanksgiving.  I got there about an hour early to get my number. I walked a bit and then ran a couple miles to warm up - including a little bit at faster than race pace.  The first half mile of the race was slightly downhill and I hit the first mile comfortably in 7:45. I started feeling my lack of mileage in the second mile as I had to push harder to run only 8:09. The last half mile was slightly uphill and I finished in 25:08. That's 8:05/mile - slower than I'd hoped for but my best since I started running again this year.  Two things would help me run faster - a lower body weight and more mileage to improve my stamina. I still weigh 171 lb. so there's lots of room for improvement there. I'm not planning on putting in a lot of training miles because I want to preserve my joints, so I'm probably never going to run a LOT faster than today.
Almost at the finish line - felt worse than it looks

1 comment:

terminoil said...

Here are a few more pointers on how to improve:
Retroactively repick your rift valley parents
Get a LOT younger!
Live @ at least 7000 ft altitude
Get a world famous champion-making coach
Lose the desserts-think "sincere salad" diet
Lose any excess organs, appendages, flesh, hair or teeth. Think "hollow" man, think "hollow."
Cherry pick inaccurately (short) measured downhill courses
Run sand dunes (you might install a few in your home)
Steroids, steroids, steroids!
EPO (run like Lance)
Experiment with ALL new illicit drugs to hit the street. This is NO time to hold back man. The clock is ticking!

I have a butt-load of other suggestions. Just ask.

Good luck Rube,

Halbarto Saladbar Cerutti-Lydiart -- ChampMaker