Sunday, May 19, 2024

mid-May update

 Today is the 100th anniversary of my dad's birth. I will never be as cool as him. Oh well.

So, I had my last run 4 weeks ago due to a strained calf/Achilles. I switched back to hikes on Cowle's Mountain but gave that up after a week or two on the principle that I was doing all the same stuff but hoping for better results. I have been concentrating on strength and mobility exercises with some stationary bike sprints for cardio. This is the first time I've put some serious effort into leg strength improvement. I am being careful to try to progress slowly without straining.

This morning I decided to try a little running and plan to continue with that just once a week unless my left hip flexor improves. I ran 6 x 50 yards with slow walks back between them. My fastest one (the last one) was at 7:23/mile pace.

I sometimes wonder if my dad would think I'm an idiot for trying to run at 74 years old. He never had the luxury because he only lived to be 66.

No comments: