Saturday, July 27, 2019

Twelve weeks until Mark and Justin and I leave for a 20 mile hike into and out of the Grand Canyon on October 20. I have only been hiking a flat 5 miles every Sunday for the last 2 months but have been doing 3 treadmill workouts per week - 20 minutes on a 15 percent grade. Very boring. I have been concentrating on strength workouts - pushups, pullups, seated rows, overhead press, and most importantly, dumbbell deadlifts. I did my last treadmill workout 2 days ago and today I hiked up and down Cowles. Big surprise - it was harder than the treadmill. The good news - my legs were stronger on the downhills because of the deadlifts. Going forward I will be hiking more often, forgetting the treadmill and gradually phasing out the lifting.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

If you guys are using the Kaibab, you might want to throw in some stairs as well. The last time I went with you I had been going to a park here that had long series of stairs which I ran/walked down. I think it might even have actually helped beside the placebo effect.