Saturday, May 4, 2013

188 might not be my best running weight

I actually ran a few days this week.  All of the week's running was uphill to avoid pounding my hips with my 188 pound body weight. The longest run of the week was a 1.3 mile uphill run on Mesa Road two days ago averaging 10:44/mile.  So of course I decided it would be a good idea to try something longer and steeper. I went to Black Mountain this morning with the intention of running around 12:00/mile for the 2 mile climb of around 800 vertical feet.  It turns out that the dirt road up Black Mountain is WAY steeper than what I've been running lately (the last 20 years) and I soon found myself walking. It just kept getting steeper so the walks became more frequent. Eventually I reached the top, having averaged 13:57 per mile from the start - lots of room for improvement. To save time getting back to my car, I ran some of the downhill when it wasn't too steep.  I'll try it again if I lose a few pounds - and if I can still walk tomorrow.
Black Mountain, San Diego, CA 92129 - click photo to enlarge

1 comment:

NibblyBits said...

Hmmm.
Maybe wearing a weight vest or a knapsack full of rocks would help.
Just a thought.
I'll post again if I have other helpful advice.